TIPS: Writing Assignments

This post is for any of you out there at university, college, or even school, who absolutely hate writing assignments and never really know where to start - trust me, the majority of people feel this way, me included, it's not only you!

I'm currently in my second year studying law and I like to think that I'm now not too terrible at writing assignments - although I do feel it when I start, so here's a few tips and tricks that I like to use when tackling an assignment.

1. Read the question and make sure you understand what you're being asked to do - 
I personally like to read the question a few times and then break it down. Make sure you look at how it is worded, are you asked to describe, analyse, evaluate... All of those words make the question completely different so it's important to double check you're doing what you've been asked.

2. Plan - 
Honestly, when it comes to assignment writing I am absolutely useless at planning and usually skip this stage, I do sometimes attempt to plan by making spider diagrams and writing notes that relate to each part of the question but for me I don't find it all too helpful. That being said, a lot of people find planning really helpful, it definitely helps you to structure your assignment and decide what's going in each paragraph so definitely give that a go if you struggle with structure.

3. Do core reading - 
So basically, as a starting point I like to go over my lecture and seminar notes, and then read the relevant chapters of my core textbook, once I have a basic understanding I move onto the next step.

4. Wider research - 
Once I have finished my core reading and know the basics of the topic wider reading is an essential, especially at university. To start with I'll read another one or two textbooks, before moving on to case judgments and journal articles (or for example case studies/research for science/psychology). It's really important that you understand the basics before moving onto wider reading because otherwise it will be very hard to understand.

5. Writing it - 
A lot of people like to start with the main body of the assignment and write the introduction last. In the introduction say what you are going to say, in the main body say it, in the conclusion say what you've said. A lot of the time you don't actually know what you're going to say until you've said it, so leaving your introduction until the end makes it so much easier to write. Another important thing to remember is never add new information in your conclusion. Your conclusion should summarise the points you have made, not introduce any new content.

6. Make it your own - 
When writing assignments it's always good to use quotes from academics to support your arguments, but make sure you don't go overboard using other peoples work, and always be sure to reference any quotes you use, even if you paraphrase them!

7. Overcoming a mental block - 
If at any point you just can't think of another word to say, leave it. Stop writing for a while and come back to it in a couple of hours or another day. This also applies if you have a really good idea but just can't think of how to word it at (academically) the time, write your idea down and come back to it.

8. Referencing - 
When it comes to referencing your university will probably have a 'preferred style' that everyone will follow, for example I use MHRA referencing. Make sure you use the specified style of referencing, and practice practice practice because I know how hard it can be at first. If you do struggle a lot ask a tutor for help!

9. Proof read - 
When you think you've finished read it, check spellings, grammar and that everything makes sense. Then when you've made changes get someone else to check it, a friend, a parent, anyone! Sometimes other people will spot mistakes that you wouldn't have yourself because you'll have been looking at it for so long, a fresh pair of eyes is always good.

10. Submission - 
I always like to get my assignments submitted the day before they are due in. Leaving it until the last minute isn't the best idea in case there are any problems. At my university we submit our work online, if everyone was to leave submission until the last minute the server would almost certainly crash and half of us would be penalised for late submission (a minute late is still late!).

Apologies if this has been an extremely boring post, and for the lack of photos, but I hope this has helped some of you out there.

Love, Charlotte

Comments

Popular Posts